Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Go Outside and PLAY!

little dude

As a child I spent my summers outside on my dad's farm. There was no cable TV, no computers or video games. Just 25 acres of hills, animals, a creek, a pond and each other. Meals were made from scratch and we all sat down at the table together to eat. I loved my summers, there was never a dull moment, I was never bored.


serenbe
Raising a child with a sense of adventure, to love and respect nature is just as important to their brain development as the food they eat. 


I came across this book, Last Child in the Woods, on the shelf of a sweet little bakery at Serenbe a couple of years ago. Richard Louv talks about saving our children from nature-deficit disorder. He says that all children need to be out in nature, not just the ones with parents that love nature - all children.


cloudland canyon
My husband and I love to go camping in the cool months. We started including our daughter when she was 6 months old. She absolutely loves it. She loves going on hikes, and swimming in lakes, cooking over a fire and sleeping under the stars.


There is so much to teach a child in the woods:


1. respect of all creatures
2. respect for nature
3. how to start a fire
4. survival skills
5. how to play without toys

loving nature

Even if you don't want to spend the night in the woods, you can always go take a hike!



No comments:

Post a Comment